Saturday, February 11, 2012

Racing For Rowan

Today Zeke and I did our first race together...the Sweetheart Run. Let's get one thing out there, I'm not a runner. Never have been and probably never will be. Wish I could though!! Amber and I were debating whether to do the 1k or the 5k. We swayed back and forth about it. Since Zeke was participating we finally agreed to do the 1k. I told her that he will often want to be held and I could just picture it now us running a 5k with him on one of our backs. I think that is the exact moment I jinxed myself. We have had the most amazing winter temperature wise. I am not a winter person. I do not like cold weather what-so-ever!! Today out of all the days was the coldest day of winter yet...17 degrees!! I picked Amber up at 7:15am then we headed to get Zeke from Kofi at 7:30am. We got Zeke in the car and couldn't believe how cold it was...and how Zeke didn't have any hair, but that's a whole other story I won't get into today. We arrived downtown fairly early so we hung out in the car with the heat cranked up. I hopped in the backseat with Zeke. I brought some extra layers of clothes for him to put on so we got him all warm and snugly. As we were sitting there he began getting a little cranky saying he just wanted to go home and get some strawberry milk. We kept changing the subject and talking about other things to take his mind off of that. Finally, at 8:25am we got out of the car and headed towards the start line. The 10k group was there about to take off. We watched them all go then they called for us. We lined up and took a few pictures, of course. Soon the siren sounded for us and off we went. I'm not kidding the second Zeke ran across the start line he started crying that he wanted to be held. So I bent down and put him on my back and off we went. He had such a tight grip around my neck that I was getting choked and having a hard time breathing so Amber and I traded off. This continued the whole time. Luckily we were only doing the 1k. I told him I wanted him to cross the finish line like a big boy, which he did. All in all it was fun and a good experience. I told him next time we did a run it would be much warmer...and I was bringing a stroller!! After the 'run' they had a pancake breakfast. We went into the tent for our pancakes, oranges, and bananas. Zeke enjoyed this part. After we ate the three of us rushed to the car to warm up and we headed home!! What an experience...at the end of the day, we all had a great time and were happy to be there!!

We did this Sweetheart Run in honor of Rowan Fowler, the son of one of my co-workers at Jenks. They are currently in Missouri getting his heart healthy and strong so that they can bring him back home to Oklahoma. Please lift this family up in your prayers today and everyday!
This is how my little boy looked when I picked him up from daddy...no hair :(


Sitting in the car staying warm before the run

 
It's time to race, let's go!
Brrr...it's cold out here!
Zekey and I at the start line.  We are ready to do this!
Waiting for the 'go'
Crossing the start line
Getting a lift from Amber
Almost there guys!
We made it!
Enjoying some fruit at the pancake breakfast

Amber and Zekey at the breakfast










1 comment:

  1. I love love love the new look!! She did a great job!!

    All of Z's beautiful hair is gone!! ;-( I miss it already.

    Great run for a great cause. I think I'm doing my first 5k this summer. I hate running but it burns so many calories. I'm gonna make myself like it!!

    ReplyDelete